Discover the natural wonders and rugged wilderness of the Faroe Islands
Embark on an off the beaten track, four-night exploration of the captivating Faroe Islands. This stunning archipelago of 18 islands is part of Denmark, and lies 320km northwest of the UK in the North Atlantic, between Iceland and Norway.
On this adventurous trip you'll be part of an intimate tour group with no more than eight guests. You'll pay a visit to Torshavn, the charming capital, with its colourful houses and buildings that date back to the Viking age. You'll also stop at Suðuroy with its majestic landscapes and picturesque villages. Immerse yourself in rich Nordic culture, learn about Viking history and sample the unique cuisine that is rooted in local, sustainable practices, the most famous of which is ræst, preserved meat that undergoes a natural fermentation process.
You'll be treated to a sightseeing tour of some of the Faroe Islands' most spectacular natural attractions as you travel to your hotel in the charming capital, Torshavn. In May, daylight hours are long, with just 5-7.5 hours of darkness each day.
Enjoy a fishing tour and have a go at bringing in your own catch for supper, all while enjoying jaw-dropping landscapes. Keep an eye out for birds such as puffins and razorbill overhead, and seals, whales and porpoises in the water.
You will get to experience Faroese hospitality first hand on this trip, with lunch at a local home allowing you an insight into island life.
The Faroe Islands are renowned for their captivating rugged landscapes, and you'll get to see dramatic cliffs from the sea, as you sail into the stunning fjord Trongisvágsfjørður, and by air, as you take a helicopter ride between the capital, Torshavn, and the southernmost island of Suðuroy.
On Suðuroy, learn about the Viking history of the Faroe Islands and have a go at salting and drying fish, an ancient Faroese tradition, before spending the night in a cosy local guesthouse.
Reasons to book
- An intimate tour group with no more than eight guests
- Return flights to Vagar airport, direct from Edinburgh, indirect from London Heathrow
- All transfers
- The services for a bilingual guide throughout
- Three nights' accommodation in a four-star hotel on Torshavn
- One nights' accommodation in a guesthouse on Suðuroy
- Breakfast each day at your hotel
- One lunch at at local home
- Helicopter ride from Torshavn to Suðuroy*
- Traditional Faroese cooking experience
- Fishing and dining tour
- Viking tour with a traditional fish drying lesson
- Sight-seeing tour
- Optional pre tour stay in Edinburgh, please call for details
Day1Arrive at Vagar airportVagar, Faroe Islands, Denmark
You'll arrive at Vagar airport today, where you will be met by your guide and transfer to Torshavn. On arrival in Torshavn, you will check into your four-star hotel and have some free time to relax and prepare for the days ahead. Or, if you're ready to start exploring, you can book an optional activity for your first day.
Day2Viking tourØravík, Suðuroy, Faroe Islands
After breakfast at the hotel, get ready for an unforgettable helicopter ride to the southernmost Faroe island, Suðuroy. Marvel at the rugged beauty of the islands below and see the Faroe Islands from a completely different perspective.**
You'll also get a lesson in how to make dried fish, a traditional speciality of the Faroe Islands.
At the end of a busy day's exploring, you'll check into a cosy guesthouse and spend the night on Suðuroy.
Day3TorshavnThorshavn, Faroe Islands
After breakfast, you'll enjoy a ferry ride back to the capital, Torshavn.
The sailing time is around two hours and the trip is an experience on its own. On your way, you pass by several of the Faroe islands, giving you the opportunity to soak in spectacular views and enjoy the fresh sea breeze and the rich birdlife surrounding the islands.
Once you arrive in Torshavn you have the rest of the day at your leisure. Explore the quaint capital, have a bite to eat at one of the many amazing restaurants, or grab a tasty beer at the up-and-coming craft beer bars.
Day4Fishing tourThorshavn, Faroe Islands
Fishing is a key part of life on the Faroe Islands, and today you'll get to try it for yourself. Surrounded by dramatic landscapes you'll cast your fishing line and see what you catch.
After your fishing trip, you'll be invited to a local village home where they will cook your catch of the day and you will dine together in their home. After your meal, your host will take you to visit some interesting locations in the village before you return to your hotel, where you'll have the rest of the evening free.
Day5DepartureVagar, Faroe Islands, Denmark
After a final breakfast at the hotel, you will go for a scenic drive and sightseeing tour on the way to the airport, where your Faroe Islands adventure draws to an end. You'll be transported back to Vagar Airport in time for your flight back home.
Brought to you by
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £235. Deposit 30%. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. **In the event of bad weather, you will have to catch the ferry back instead of your helicopter ride. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd (ATOL bonded).